Divorced + Children

Post-Divorce Considerations

Whether the issues in your divorce are settled by you and your spouse or are decided by a judge, some things in your judgment can be modified (changed) by a judge after your divorce is final.  Change is inevitable and the change that accompanies the future sometimes calls for modifications of your divorce decree and the court orders setting forth your child custody, child support and alimony arrangements. For example, your children may require more expensive special education.  Your spouse may have gotten promoted or is now remarried.  You may have lost your job or reduced your work hours to attend school and now face financial hardship.

At the White Law Office, we work with clients, seeking post-divorce modifications both to help you make changes that reflect your changing lifestyle and to ensure your children’s needs are always met.

What Factors Warrant Modification?

If any of the initial circumstances change significantly regarding the needs of the child, the financial circumstances of either parent or the amount of time you spend with the child, parents can seek modification of child support levels.  With these changes, support obligations, custody, or visitation schedules may change as well.  We work closely with our clients to make changes that reflect their changed lifestyles.  In cases of modification of child support, the burden of proving the need for modification falls to the parent requesting the change.  If you are seeking or opposing support modification, we provide guidance regarding the feasibility of the proposed changes and advocacy to protect your children’s interests.



It’s unfortunate, but parents don’t always follow the orders outlined by the court at the time of the divorce.   If the parent ordered to pay support stops, or if the custodial parent interrupts or refuses to permit scheduled parenting time, then it may be necessary to enforce the order.  Georgia courts take very seriously a willful violation of its orders, and civil contempt proceedings are to ensure the original terms of the order are fairly enforced.  At the White Law Office we represent our clients seeking to enforce court orders to collect any unpaid support (often including attorney fees) and defend our clients facing unreasonable contempt actions.

When One Parent Refuses to Allow the Other to Exercise Parenting Time

It’s often one of the most frustrating times as a parent—to want to be a part of your child’s life, but because of continuing issues with your former spouse or co-parent, you cannot spend time with your child.  Visitation matters often boil down to “he said, she said” situations and can be extremely difficult to prove.  We put children FIRST.  We share our clients’ priority; to cultivate a respectful, healthy co-parenting relationship for the sake of your children.  We cut through the emotional barriers that prohibit a healthy relationship and encourage visitation exchanges that are free from emotional challenges for your children.  We are experienced in these scenarios and provide the best possible support for our clients to resolve disputes with co-parents while protecting our clients’ children’s best interests.